Eyelid Nerve Decompression Surgery Benefits Some Migraineurs (1)
What some migraineurs are willing to risk to shut off that pain. Turns out that getting under a knife that works on your eyelid is a risk well worth taking for them. This is not a procedure recommended for every migraineur. To be eligible for this eyelid cosmetic surgery, you need to meet certain criteria and thus screened to check if you should do this. The surgery essentially decompresses the nerves in the eyelid that trigger migraine episodes in many.
Dr. Oren Tessler, Assistant Professor of Clinical Surgery at LSU Health Sciences Center New Orleans School of Medicine, have seen that more than 90% of the patients who underwent this surgery experienced relief and also got a bonus cosmetic eyelid surgery. The study and it’s findings have been published in the medical journal Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
The study examined 35 patients all of whom suffered from chronic nerve decompression triggering migrainous episodes. All of them had used some sort of nerve blocking treatment earlier or Botox at some point of time trying to tackle the pain.
As per Dr. Oren, “Surgery is a valid treatment for migraines in certain patients. We believe that these patients should have ready access to migraine trigger site decompression surgery. Although larger studies are needed, we have shown that we can restore these patients to full and productive lives.” (2)
The eyelid nerve decompression surgery is an alternative to the much done endoscopic approach where sensors are passed under scalp skin. However, this latter method makes it unsuitable for many depending on their anatomy. Also endoscopes are not available with every team and neither is it safe to assume endoscopy expertise in ever surgeon. However, in the eyelid cosmetic surgery for the screened and selected patients simply involved making a minor slit in their upper eyelid resulting in release of the decompressed nerve and subsequent deactivation of the nerve involved in the migraine episodes. (3)
The team involved in the study also included surgeons from Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School.
Some statistics on the surgery:
- An overall positive response of 90.7%
- Complete elimination of migraines in 51% of the patients.
- 33% of the patients had between 50 and 80% of their symptoms resolved.
- Caucasian Girl’s Blue Eye; Image Credit – Serge Bertasius Photography; Free Digital Photos; Web August 2014; http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/Younger_Women_g57-Caucasian_Girls_Blue_Eye_p154783.html
- Surgeons report significant migraine relief from cosmetic eyelid surgery technique; Eureka Alert; Web August 2014; http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2014-07/lsuh-srs073114.php
- Cosmetic eyelid surgery technique can help cure migraine: Study; Business Standard; Web August 2014; http://www.business-standard.com/article/news-ani/cosmetic-eyelid-surgery-technique-can-help-cure-migraine-study-114080101045_1.html
Copyrights apply to this blog. Please refer copyright permissions.